This Honey Mustard Chicken is exactly what you need if you're looking for a flavor-packed, one-pan dinner meal that can be made in just 30 minutes! And the creamy honey mustard cream sauce is amazing on rice, potatoes, and roasted veggies, too!
For more cozy chicken recipes, try my Baked Mustard Chicken Meatballs and Chicken in Pumpkin Sauce.
This honey mustard chicken features juicy chicken breasts that are bursting with flavor with a sweet and savory honey mustard cream sauce that has a classic herby kick!
What's best is that it's entirely made in one pot, making it the perfect weeknight dinner recipe!
- What Is Honey Mustard Chicken?
- Why This Is The Best Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- Why Does Making Honey Mustard Chicken In One Pan Make It Taste Even Better?
- What You Need To Make Honey Mustard Chicken At Home
- How To Make A Stovetop Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet Meal
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas For Honey Mustard Chicken
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How To Store Leftover Honey Mustard Chicken
- Similar Recipes
Plus, this delicious chicken meal goes great with just about any side since the creamy honey mustard sauce perfectly complements rice, potatoes, salads, and even roasted veggies!
In case you were wondering, this recipe is inspired by one of our most well-loved recipes, Mustard Chicken. I highly recommend you try that one out too.
This honey mustard chicken is especially great for anyone who's looking to use pantry staple ingredients to make an incredibly easy and tasty dish for their family. It's a complete crowd-pleaser that's sure to impress anyone that tries it.
My recipe will give you the best honey mustard chicken you've ever had with the least amount of effort!
I use a super simple method of making it that packs the flavor into each bite and will give you the tastiest creamy honey mustard sauce you've ever had!
Read on to learn exactly how to make this easy Honey Mustard Chicken at home tonight!
What Is Honey Mustard Chicken?
Honey mustard chicken is an incredibly easy weeknight meal made using pantry staple ingredients such as chicken breasts, honey, dijon mustard, chicken broth, etc.
It's made by first marinating chicken in a marinade consisting of ingredients such as honey, dijon mustard, and other seasonings, then grilling, frying, or baking it until it's cooked all the way through.
The flavor is all packed in the delicious creamy homemade honey mustard sauce that's both sweet and savory, for a tasty meal that can be made in just 30 minutes.
The sweet and tangy flavors of the honey and mustard go perfectly with the savory flavor of the chicken for an unbelievably flavor-packed and balanced meal.
This dish can be easily served with sides such as rice, potatoes, and roasted vegetables, or even with your favorite salad!
What's best is that you can use many different cuts of chicken, all the way from breasts, to thighs and drumsticks, and can even adapt it to your dietary preferences.
I've included tips and tricks on how to turn this recipe into a keto-friendly/low-carb meal along with other variation ideas that you'll absolutely love.
Why This Is The Best Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Quick and easy: This chicken dinner recipe is incredibly quick and easy to make! In fact, you can make it even as a beginner to get a tasty chicken meal that's ready in just 30 minutes!
One-pan: The best this about this recipe is that it's a one-pan meal! Not only does that mean you won't have too many dishes to clean, but it actually helps make your honey mustard chicken taste even better! Read the next section to find out why!
Versatile: You can have this honey mustard chicken with rice, roasted veggies, zoodles, or just about any side you like! Plus, this recipe can be easily adapted to fit your dietary preferences. I've included how to turn it into a keto-friendly/low-card or dairy-free dish below as well.
Family favorite: The sweet and tangy flavors of the sauce, coupled with the savory chicken that's tender and juicy, truly make it the perfect meal for the whole family. Not only will adults love it, but so will your kids!
Weeknight-friendly: We all need a weeknight-friendly recipe that's quick to make and simple with the best flavor every single time. This recipe definitely fits the bill and you're going to absolutely love it!
Why Does Making Honey Mustard Chicken In One Pan Make It Taste Even Better?
The trick to having the tastiest honey mustard chicken is to make it all in one pan! And my recipe shares that exact technique to give you the best honey mustard chicken every single time.
After you're done sautéing and cooking the chicken in the pan, you'll notice some browned bits clinging to the surface of your pan. That's where all the flavor is, and it's also why they're often referred to as little nuggets of culinary gold!
These brown bits are called 'fond' in classical French cooking, which literally means 'base' or 'bottom.' That's because they're an essential ingredient to make any pan sauce and create deep flavor!
So by making this entire dish in one pan, we incorporate these caramelized brown bits into the sauce to give you the best-tasting creamy honey mustard sauce you'll ever have.
What You Need To Make Honey Mustard Chicken At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious chicken meal at home. Let's look at each of these in more detail:
Chicken: First of all, we'll need some chicken! I've used boneless, skinless chicken breast to make this recipe, but you can also go for chicken thighs or drumsticks.
Honey: We'll also, of course, need some honey for our honey mustard chicken. It adds a deliciously sweet flavor that perfectly balances out the tangy, sharp flavor of the Dijon mustard.
Mustard: We'll be using Dijon mustard in this recipe instead of yellow mustard since it has a sharper, tangier flavor that creates the perfect base for our sauce.
Salt and pepper: To season this honey mustard chicken, we'll also use some salt and black pepper.
Butter: We'll also be using some butter to sear and cook the chicken, which will make it taste richer and add even more flavor to the brown bits (fond).
Crème Fraîche: We'll also be using some crème fraîche for our sauce. It's quite similar to sour cream but has a higher fat content which means you can cook with it without it curdling!
Thyme: The earthy, minty, and slightly lemony flavor of thyme works beautifully with the flavors in this dish and really takes it to the next level.
Chicken broth: We'll be using chicken broth instead of water to make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. It'll enhance the flavor even more and add more depth to the dish.
Cornstarch: You'll also need some cornstarch to make a slurry. This will allow us to thicken the sauce to the perfect level.
Parsley: We'll also need some fresh parsley to garnish this delicious chicken dish before serving.
How To Make A Stovetop Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet Meal
- Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into fillets. Place chicken breast on a cutting board and, holding it flat with the palm of one hand, slice it horizontally into two pieces. You will have four chicken cutlets.
- Prepare the chicken honey mustard marinade. Combine honey, mustard, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper in a large zipper bag. Place chicken in a zipper bag, seal it, and toss it in a honey-mustard mixture to coat it.
- Sear the chicken. Melt butter in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes on each side until nice and brown. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Prepare the cornstarch mixture. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of chicken broth.
- Cook the honey Dijon mustard chicken sauce. To the same pan, add the remaining chicken broth, thyme, Crème Fraîche, corn starch mixture, the remaining honey-mustard mixture, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir everything. Make certain you scrape the brown bits off the bottom of your skillet, as they add tremendous flavor to the dish.
- Finish the stovetop creamy honey mustard chicken. Add chicken back to the pan and cook for a few more minutes until the chicken is tender (the internal temperature reaches 165 F) and the sauce has thickened. Sprinkle easy honey Dijon chicken with parsley and serve! Your delicious Honey Mustard Chicken is ready to be enjoyed!
As soon as you take your first bite, you'll be convinced this is the easiest and best stovetop creamy honey mustard chicken recipe you've ever had!
Pair it with your favorite side dish or try something new, like creamy mashed potatoes with Creme Fraiche. This chicken also goes well with white Basmati rice, roasted asparagus, or anything else you can imagine.
Plus, drizzle some of the creamy honey mustard sauce over them to make it extra delectable!
Recipe Variation Ideas For Honey Mustard Chicken
This delicious Honey Mustard Chicken recipe is perfect as is! But if you're looking to customize this recipe, here are a few variation ideas you can try:
Fresh herbs: You can add some fresh rosemary to your delicious honey mustard chicken to change the flavor and add a woodsy, lemony touch to this easy dinner recipe!
Different chicken cut: Another way to change things up is to use a different cut of chicken, such as chicken thighs or drumsticks. The cooking time will change a bit if you do, so check out the section below to know how to make these adjustments.
Different meat: Chicken isn't the only thing that goes well with this homemade honey mustard sauce! You can even consider substituting it with fish instead. Salmon or white fish works great with the flavors in this recipe.
Low carb/keto-friendly: To make this recipe keto-friendly, you can replace cornstarch with coconut flavor and honey with ½ teaspoon of Stevia liquid concentrate.
Dairy-free: If you want a dairy-free version of this recipe, replace the crème fraîche with the same amount of coconut cream, dairy-free Greek yogurt, or dairy-free sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re following a low carb or Ketogenic diet, here’s how to make this recipe compliant.
1. replace the cornstarch with the same amount of coconut flour;
2. replace honey with ½ teaspoon of Stevia Liquid Concentrate
Dijon mustard that goes into a marinade tenderizes the chicken and adds a wonderful flavor. It has a sharper, tangier flavor than regular yellow mustard, so it truly takes this dish to the next level!
Absolutely. In step 6, when you add the seared chicken back into the pan with the sauce, cook meat for 10-15 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F. That’s where an instant meat thermometer comes in handy.
If you don't have Crème Fraîche, simply mix 2½ tablespoons of sour cream and 2½ tablespoons of heavy cream. That's how simple it is! Adding heavy cream to the sour cream will increase the fat content, preventing it from curdling when we use it in the recipe.
Yes, you can replace Crème Fraîche with the same amount of coconut cream, dairy-free Greek yogurt, or dairy-free sour cream.
How To Store Leftover Honey Mustard Chicken
Store any leftovers of your honey mustard chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, microwave it until it's warm all the way through or on the stovetop on medium-high heat.
You can adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding a little chicken broth to it if it's too thick.
I don't recommend freezing this dish because the sauce contains cream. Cream-based sauces tend to separate when defrosted and reheated. The honey mustard chicken will still taste delicious but it won't have the same texture.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Click on the highlighted link to purchase the ingredients
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoon Crème Fraîche* see my substitution tips
- 3 thyme sprigs leaves finely chopped
- ¾ c chicken broth
- 3 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon butter you can substitute with olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon parsley
Cut boneless skinless chicken breast into fillets.
- Place chicken breast on a cutting board and holding it flat with a palm of one hand, slice it horizontally into two pieces . You will have 4 chicken cutlets.
Prepare the honey mustard chicken marinade.
Sear the chicken.
- Melt butter in a medium non-stick pan and over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes on each side until nice and brown. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Prepare the cornstarch mixture.
- In a small bowl, dissolve corn starch in 3 tablespoon of chicken broth.
Prepare the cornstarch mixture.
- To the same pan add the remaining chicken broth, thyme, Crème Fraîche, corn starch mixture, the remaining honey-mustard mixture and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Give everything a stir scraping the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan.
Finish the creamy honey mustard chicken.
- Add chicken back to the pan and cook for a few more minutes until the chicken is tender (internal temperature reaches 165 F) and sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
1. replace the cornstarch with the same amount of coconut flour;
2. replace honey with ½ teaspoon of Stevia Liquid Concentrate. Make it with chicken thighs or drumsticks. In step 6, when you add seared chicken back into the pan with the sauce, cook meat for 10-15 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F. Storage tips. Store any leftovers of your honey mustard chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, microwave it until it's warm all the way through or on the stovetop on medium-high heat. You can adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding a little chicken broth to it if it's too thick. I don't recommend freezing this dish because the sauce contains cream. Cream-based sauces tend to separate when defrosted and reheated. The honey mustard chicken will still taste delicious but it won't have the same texture.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.