This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff is a creamy, savory, luxurious dinner inspired by delicious Eastern European cuisine and it's ready to eat in just half an hour! You simply can't beat this easy stroganoff recipe for a one skillet, thirty minute dinner when you're ready for a satisfying, comforting meal that doesn't involve slaving in the kitchen all afternoon.
Also check out my Vegan Mushrooms Stroganoff, Beef Stroganoff and Dijon Mushroom Stroganoff.
Click HERE TO PIN this recipe!
If you're looking for the most delicious chicken and mushroom recipes, look no further.
This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff is an ideal dinner: it's easy, it's fast, it's very satisfying, and there's minimal clean up involved afterwards. Comfort food at its best.
Creamy dinner dishes delight the taste buds and create a dining experience everyone loves, and this easy Chicken stroganoff recipe is no exception.
Inspired by my incredibly popular Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe , this easy chicken dinner is bound to join your list of weeknight favorites.
Also, this chicken mushroom stroganoff is low carb and keto friendly! Pair it with some Balsamic Roasted Green Beans and you've got an appealing meal that isn't hard to make and 100% good for you.
And if you're not worried about the carbs and just want a delicious side dish? Creme Fraiche Mashed Potatoes, pasta and rice will pair nicely with this and the creamy Stroganoff sauce will enhance them beautifully.
Thick egg noodles or gnocchi are also great options.
Here's Why This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe Works
- even though it’s a hearty dish, this easy chicken and mushroom stroganoff cooks in just 30 minutes. It’s a wonderful recipe to have on hand when you want something fast, filling and flavorful;
- creamy Stroganoff sauce made of sour cream, Dijon mustard and smoked paprika will fill the kitchen with the yummy aroma. Everyone will be asking for seconds of this classic Russian dish;
- the recipe is quite versatile and you can replace the chicken with beef, turkey or leftover rotisserie chicken;
How To Make Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff
- Mix together the salt, pepper, and paprika spices. Sprinkle on your chicken and let it sit for a moment. Simple, right? But the flavor is really going to shine in this easy chicken stroganoff recipe!
- In a large skillet, melt a teaspoon of butter and sauté the mushrooms over medium heat. You want the mushrooms golden brown, which should take about 5 minutes. Once they're done, remove them from the skillet and set them aside until later.
- Now add the rest of your butter to the skillet and let it melt. Cook your chicken, 3-4 minutes on each side, until it's cooked and tender. Add your shallot and cook another 3 minutes or so. By now your kitchen smells ah-mazing.
- Add in your garlic and about 30 second later add the mushrooms back in. Lastly, stir in the dijon and sour cream, the final ingredients in your perfect stroganoff sauce recipe. Scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this creamy chicken stroganoff simmer and meld over low heat for about 5 minutes. If your chicken pieces are larger and you need more sour cream sauce, simply add a little extra sour cream.
- All that's left is to sprinkle your creamy chicken mushroom stroganoff meal with some fresh parsley and serve it right away. Enjoy!
Cook's Tip For The Best Creamy Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff
Thanks to a few secret ingredients, this easy classic Russian stroganoff recipe comes out absolutely delicious.
The creamy stroganoff sauce is made up of only a few carefully chosen ingredients that combine for the ultimate in creamy goodness.
- Choose The Right Mushrooms.
Many people think that a mushroom is just a mushroom. But there are so many varieties to choose from!
From the small white capped mushrooms to Chanterelles to Portobello, mushroom choices abound.
And for this easy Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe, you'll want to use Shiitake mushrooms if possible.
Their earthy, smoky flavor is just right for this easy chicken mushroom stroganoff. However, portobello or white mushrooms will also work, so use what you've got!
- Paprika: The Secret Spice
The spice that really makes this best Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff recipe shine is smoked paprika.
Combined with the regular paprika, it adds just a hint of the smoky mountain flavor this recipe is known for...and oh, wow, is it amazing what that little pinch of smoky goodness can add to your meal!
If you haven't used this spice a lot, you're in for a treat and it's about to become your new kitchen bestie.
There are sweet, hot, regular, and smoked paprika varieties and you'll want smoked for this in addition to your regular spice.
Variations & Substitutions
Chicken. If you don't have chicken breast, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs. They cook the same at the chicken breast. You can even use the leftover rotisserie chicken. In that case, your easy chicken mushroom stroganoff will be ready before you know it.
Shallot. You can substitute it with a half of white or yellow onion.
Stroganoff sauce. There are many variations of creamy chicken stroganoff recipe. Some call for dredging chicken in flour, and then mixing chicken broth and sour cream for the stroganoff sauce. In my opinion, and based on my research, this is unnecessary. Using sour cream without the addition of flour and broth, is enough to create a perfect creamy dreamy stroganoff sauce that everyone will be talking about.
Frequently Asked Questions
Add ¼-1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper to the sauce.
You probably used chicken broth and added too much of it. To thicken the stroganoff sauce, dilute 1 teaspoon of corn starch in a ¼ c chicken broth and stir it into a sauce. Cook on a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
Yes. In this case I would use dairy-free sour cream.
Yes, but also add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste to the sauce. It will help to add a tangy and savory note to the sauce.
This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff should be stored in the airtight container in the refrigerator where it will last for about 3 days.
I don't recommend to freeze this dish as the sauce is dairy-based and it may separate when defrosted.
If you still want to try and freeze it, I recommend freezing the chicken in the freezer bags. Reheat in a skillet covered with a lid. You might need to add a few tablespoons of chicken broth or extra sour cream to loosen up the sauce.
More Yummy Creamy Chicken Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
If you're looking for a quick overview of the recipe, please check out my Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff web-story.
Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff
Click on the highlighted link to purchase the ingredients
- 4 oz Shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ c sour cream see the notes
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, paprika, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet and over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove mushrooms to a plate.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook chicken, 3-4 minutes per side. Add shallot and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, give it another 30 seconds and return mushrooms back into the pan. Add sour cream along with Dijon mustard, cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately. This recipe pairs beautifully with quick Baked Zucchini with Mozzarella.