This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff is the perfect one-pot meal that'll be ready in under 30 minutes to give you a deliciously satisfying meal without having to slave away in the kitchen all day! It features chicken stroganoff, the chicken version of this incredibly popular East European dish that we've all come to know and love.
It's one of the best chicken mushroom recipes out there that's ideal for dinner. It's easy, fast, and incredibly satisfying. What's best is that there's minimal cleanup involved afterward. Truly comfort food at its best!
It combines the flavors of chicken stroganoff with mushrooms interlaced for a luxuriously creamy dinner meal that's sure to impress just about anyone that tries it. It's versatile too! Have it for dinner or serve it at a dinner party because it's a total crowd-pleaser every time!
Plus, this chicken mushroom stroganoff is low-carb and keto-friendly too! Pair it with some Balsamic Roasted Green Beans and you've got an appealing meal that isn't hard to make and 100% good for you.
And if you're not worried about the carbs and just want a delicious side dish? Creme Fraiche Mashed Potatoes, pasta, and Basmati Rice will pair nicely with this and the creamy Stroganoff sauce will enhance them beautifully. Thick egg noodles or gnocchi are also great options.
For a delicious vegan version of this recipe, you have got to try my Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff for all the umami flavors but without any meat!
- What is Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff?
- Here's Why This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe Works
- What You Need to Make Chicken Stroganoff with Mushrooms At Home
- How to Make Chicken Stroganoff Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Mushroom Stroganoff Every Single Time
- Ingredient Substitution Ideas for Chicken Stroganoff
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Chicken Stroganoff
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Mushroom Stroganoff
- More Yummy Creamy Chicken Recipes
What is Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff?
Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff is a popular East European dish that combines the flavors of chicken stroganoff with mushrooms for a luxuriously creamy dinner meal.
Stroganoff is classically made with beef and has sour cream, but this recipe is the chicken version of the classic mushroom stroganoff. The umami flavors from the mushrooms take this stroganoff to the next level.
It's easy to make and incredibly satisfying, making it ideal for busy weeknights, and can easily be served at a dinner party. Plus, it's low-carb and keto-friendly too! The combination of mushrooms and sour cream makes this recipe a total crowd-pleaser every time!
Here's Why This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe Works
- Quick and easy: Even though it’s a hearty dish, this easy chicken and mushroom stroganoff cooks in just 30 minutes. It’s a wonderful recipe to have on hand when you want something fast, filling, and flavorful.
- Classic flavors: The creamy Stroganoff sauce is made of sour cream, Dijon mustard, and smoked paprika, and will fill your kitchen with an incredibly appetizing aroma. Everyone will be asking for seconds of this classic Russian dish.
- Versatile: This recipe is quite versatile, and you can replace the chicken with beef, turkey, or even leftover rotisserie chicken!
- Beginner-friendly: Even if this is your first time trying this recipe, you'll still be able to make it perfectly and easily on the first go! This is thanks to my details recipe instructions, tips, and step-by-step pictures to help you every step along the way!
What You Need to Make Chicken Stroganoff with Mushrooms At Home
You only need some simple ingredients to make this delicious Chicken Stroganoff at home. Here's everything you'll need:
Mushrooms: First of all, we'll need some mushrooms for this delicious chicken mushroom stroganoff recipe. I've used shiitake mushrooms in this recipe, but you can go for white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or a mix of your favorite ones!
Butter: We'll also be needing a little butter to saute our mushrooms in. Not only will this help them brown better, but it'll also add a delicious richness to our mushroom stroganoff.
Chicken: Since this is a chicken stroganoff, we'll be using some chicken as well. I've used two chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces, but you can also go for chicken thighs. Check out my variations and substitutions section below for more details:
Shallot: For the perfect aroma and flavor, we'll add one shallot to this by thinly slicing it and sauteing it with our chicken.
Cloves: You'll also need some garlic to bring out all the flavors in the rest of the ingredients while perfectly balancing them out.
Sour cream: This dish is known for its smooth, creamy sauce and sour cream is the right base for it! It gives an authentic flavor and feel since this is classically used to make stroganoff.
Paprika: You'll also need some paprika for this recipe to marinate the chicken. It'll add a slightly sweet and peppery flavor to this recipe as well as a beautiful flavor to the chicken.
Smoked paprika: This is my secret ingredient in this recipe! Along with the regular paprika, it adds just a hint of the smoky mountain flavor this recipe is known for! It truly takes this delicious classic to the next level for an authentic flavor.
Dijon mustard: Dijon mustard will add a subtle flavor with a ton of depth! It has a tangy, sharp flavor with a bit of spice that perfectly complements the paprikas in this dish.
Salt and pepper: You'll also need some salt and pepper to season this dish to just the right level.
Parsley: We'll also be using some freshly chopped parsley to garnish our delicious chicken stroganoff.
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff Step by Step
Making this delicious Chicken Stroganoff is easier than you think. Here's how you can make it at home step by step:
- Start by mixing together the salt, pepper, and paprika spices. Sprinkle on your chicken and let it sit for a moment. Simple, right? But the flavor is really going to shine in this easy chicken stroganoff recipe!
- Next, in a large skillet, melt a teaspoon of butter and sauté the mushrooms over medium heat. You want the mushrooms golden brown, which should take about 5 minutes. Once they're done, remove them from the skillet and set them aside until later.
- Now add the rest of your butter to the skillet and let it melt. Cook your chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side till it's cooked all the way through and is tender. Then add your shallot and cook another 3 minutes or so. By now your kitchen smells ah-mazing.
- Add in your garlic and about 30 seconds later add the mushrooms back in. Lastly, stir in the dijon and sour cream, the final ingredients in your perfect stroganoff sauce recipe. Scrape any brown bits (fond) from the bottom of the pan. Let this creamy chicken stroganoff simmer and meld over low heat for about 5 minutes. If your chicken pieces are larger and you need more sour cream sauce, simply add a little extra sour cream.
- All that's left is to sprinkle your creamy chicken mushroom stroganoff meal with some fresh parsley and serve it right away.
Your delicious Chicken Stroganoff is ready to be served!
Tips For Making the Best Mushroom Stroganoff Every Single Time
Thanks to a few secret ingredients, this easy classic Russian stroganoff recipe comes out absolutely delicious.
The creamy stroganoff sauce is made up of only a few carefully chosen ingredients that combine for the ultimate creamy goodness.
1. Choose The Right Mushrooms
Many people think that a mushroom is just a mushroom. But there are so many varieties to choose from!
From the small white-capped mushrooms to Chanterelles to Portobello, mushroom choices abound.
And for this easy chicken mushroom recipe, you'll want to use Shiitake mushrooms if possible.
Their earthy, smoky flavor is just right for this easy chicken mushroom stroganoff. However, portobello or white mushrooms will also work, so use what you've got!
2. Paprika: The Secret Spice
The spice that really makes this best Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff recipe shine is smoked paprika.
Combined with the regular paprika, it adds just a hint of the smoky mountain flavor this recipe is known for...and oh, wow, is it amazing what that little pinch of smoky goodness can add to your meal!
If you haven't used this spice a lot, you're in for a treat and it's about to become your new kitchen bestie.
There are sweet, hot, regular, and smoked paprika varieties and you'll want to have smoked paprika for this in addition to your regular spice.
3. Marinate the Chicken
Make sure to marinate your chicken with spices and let it sit while you cook your mushrooms. This simple step will make the chicken truly shine by helping the flavors develop and deepen.
The smoked paprika flavor will radiate in every bite and will add a special depth in your chicken stroganoff recipe. Trust me, it makes all the difference!
4. Don't Overcrowd the Pan
When sautéing your mushrooms, be sure not to overcrowd them in the pan and cook them over medium heat. This way they won't get soggy and keep their flavor.
Otherwise, your mushrooms will steam instead of sauteing which will release juices in the pan and leave your mushrooms soggy.
5. Use the Caramelized Brown Bits
Don't forget to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan before adding in your cream! These are called 'fond' in classical cooking and that's where all the flavor is.
Incorporating it into your chicken stroganoff sauce is what will take it to the next level! This is the same technique I used in my Honey Mustard Chicken for the tastiest one you've ever had!
Ingredient Substitution Ideas for Chicken Stroganoff
This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff is absolutely perfect as is, here are tips and tricks if you're looking to substitute a few ingredients:
Chicken: If you don't have chicken breasts, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs. They cook the same as the chicken breast. You can even use the leftover rotisserie chicken. In that case, your easy chicken mushroom stroganoff will be ready before you know it.
Shallot: If you don't have shallots at home, you can substitute them with half of white or yellow onion.
Stroganoff sauce: There are many variations of creamy chicken stroganoff recipes. Some call for dredging the chicken in flour and then mixing chicken broth and sour cream for the stroganoff sauce. In my opinion, and based on my research, this is unnecessary. Using sour cream without the addition of flour and broth is enough to create a perfect creamy dreamy stroganoff sauce that everyone will be talking about
Mushrooms: I've used shiitake mushrooms here but feel free to use whichever ones you like. There are tons of options available from white button mushrooms to cremini mushrooms, and so many others! You can even mix and match for a different flavor variation every single time you make this recipe
Recipe Variation Ideas for Chicken Stroganoff
Herbs: To add even more flavor to this delicious dish, you can add dried herbs such as thyme to enhance the savory, woody flavor of the mushrooms and make the dish even tastier!
Spicier: For a spicier taste, add a little cayenne pepper to your sauce. It'll add a spicy kick that'll take this dish to the next level!
Worcestershire sauce: To add a deep meaty yet savory flavor, you can add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce to your delicious chicken mushroom recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
This stroganoff recipe has a similar taste to beef stroganoff but with the umami flavors of mushrooms along with chicken for a delightfully delicious meal.
To make this delicious chicken stroganoff spicier, add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the sauce.
You probably used chicken broth and added too much of it. To thicken the stroganoff sauce, dilute 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in a ¼ cup of chicken broth and stir it into a sauce. Cook on a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
No, this recipe isn't vegan. But if you're looking for the tastiest vegan version of this popular dish, check out my Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. It has the simplest ingredients and you won't even need to blend and make your own cashew cream for the classic texture.
Yes. In this case I would use dairy-free sour cream.
Yes, but also add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste to the sauce. It will help to add a tangy and savory note to the sauce.
How to Store Leftover Mushroom Stroganoff
This Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will last for about 3 days.
I don't recommend freezing this dish as the sauce is dairy-based and it may separate when defrosted.
If you still want to try and freeze it, I recommend freezing the chicken in the freezer bags. Reheat in a skillet covered with a lid. You might need to add a few tablespoons of chicken broth or extra sour cream to loosen up the sauce.
More Yummy Creamy Chicken Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
If you're looking for a quick overview of the recipe, please check out my Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff web-story.
Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff
Click on the highlighted link to purchase the ingredients
- 4 oz Shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ c sour cream see the notes
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, paprika, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet and over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove mushrooms to a plate.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook chicken, 3-4 minutes per side. Add shallot and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, give it another 30 seconds and return mushrooms back into the pan. Add sour cream along with Dijon mustard, cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately. This recipe pairs beautifully with quick Baked Zucchini with Mozzarella.