Fall-off-the-bone chicken is smothered in a rich vegetable-infused sauce. This One Pot contadina, or country-style chicken, is an easy Italian recipe for a hearty weeknight meal. Simple ingredients - insanely delicious result.
Say yes to low- and slow cooked skillet chicken recipes bursting with flavor.
Simple ingredients produce an utterly delicious and hearty dish perfect for any occasion. If you love recipes that require less work and cleaning, this Pollo Alla Contadina is the one to try.
If you're a fan of this recipe, you need to try my other chicken recipes! This mustard chicken is a reader favorite, and skillet chicken with bell peppers is perfect for weeknight dinners or special occasions.
What is Chicken Contadina
It's a country style or farmer style chicken that is braised in simple vegetables that are often found on farmer's table.
Although this recipe is not widely popular in the US, you can easily make Chicken Contadina at home or try it in many Italian restaurants like Carmine's in NYC, which menu got me inspired to write down this post.
This classic Italian recipe is also quite affordable. Here, you can use any type of chicken that you want and substitute Cherry tomatoes for regular tomatoes.
Bell pepper is optional too. Not everyone likes it so if you fall into that category, simple skip it and add more tomatoes, carrots and onions.
Wine Pairings With Chicken Contadina
More Chicken One Pot Recipes
Mustard Chicken - my favorite French recipe that always a hit at the table.
Chicken Paprikash - classic Hungarian recipe using simple pantry ingredients
30-Minute Chicken In A Mustard - Parmesan Sauce - quick recipe for a busy weeknight meal
Spanish Chicken And Rice - beautiful and tasty one pot recipe that will be great for Sunday dinner
Serve this Chicken Contadina with my Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and/or a simple green salad.
Click on the highlighted link to purchase the ingredients
- 6 chicken drumsticks* see the notes
- 1 carrot sliced or cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes* see the notes
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ¼ c dry white wine
- ¾ c chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon parsley (optional) chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium 10-12 inch cast iron skillet and over medium heat.
- Season chicken with ¾ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and add it to a skillet.
- Sear chicken on all sides until nice and brown, about 15-20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a clean plate.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoon of oil, add onion, carrot, bell pepper, celery, garlic and rosemary and sauté stirring occasionally for 7 minutes.
- Add wine and stir for another 5 minutes scrapping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken broth, the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, tomatoes, return chicken to a skillet and braise in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the instant meat thermometer reads 175 F.
- Carefully remove skillet from the oven, adjust the seasoning if necessary, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.