This Cannellini Bean Salad is healthy, flavorful and satisfying. Made with white beans, juicy roasted bell peppers, olives, marinated red onions, and dollops of vegan cashew cheese, it's the perfect vegan side salad or easy lunch.
This salad is made with plump, tender cannellini beans, also called white kidney beans. When paired with juicy bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, it makes for a filling, protein-loaded salad that is full of flavor.
The bell peppers are roasted in the oven, making them extra juicy and flavorful. The red onion is marinated in lemon juice, which helps take away some of the bitter tartness in the onion.
I like this salad with Treeline Soft French-Style Cashew Cheese, which tastes like a mild soft cheese, but if you are allergic to nuts (or just don't like them), you can use vegan cream cheese as well.
- bell peppers – two of any color. Green bell peppers are the least ripe and have the most bite, while red are the ripest and sweetest. Using several different colors will give you different flavors and more visual interest.
- red onion – thinly sliced
- lemon juice
- Italian herbs
- cannellini beans – drained and rinsed. Great Northern beans or Navy beans would well, too.
- Kalamata olives – pitted and halved
- cherry tomatoes – halved
- cashew cheese – I like Treeline Soft French-Style Cashew Cheese, but you can also use vegan cream cheese.
- olive oil
1. Roast the peppers
Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place the bell peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, then place the peppers in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for 5 minutes.
After five minutes, peel the skin off the peppers and cut them in half. Remove the seeds and slice each half into ½ inch strips, then add the strips to a large mixing bowl.
2. Marinate the onion
In a small bowl, combine the red onion, lemon juice, herbs and salt. Leave for 5 minutes.
3. Assemble the salad
Add the red onion, beans, olives, cherry tomatoes, dollops of cheese, garlic pushed through garlic press, cilantro and olive oil to the bowl with the peppers. Adjust the salt if needed and mix gently to combine.
♨️ Storing Tips
I recommend consuming this salad on the same day. However, if you have leftovers, store them in the airtight container in a refrigerator for no longer than 1 day.
🥗 Similar Recipes
Cannellini Bean Salad With Olives and Cashew Cheese
- 2 bell peppers any color
- ½ c red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini bans drained and rinsed. Great Northern beans or Navy beans would also work
- ¼ c Kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 15 cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 tbsp Treeline Soft French-Style Cashew Cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place bell peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, place peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave for 5 minutes.
- Peel the skin off the peppers. Cut them in half, remove the seeds and slice each half into ½ inch strips. Place peppers in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl combine red onion, lemon juice, herbs and salt. Leave for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl with peppers add red onion, beans, olives, cherry tomatoes, dollops of cheese, garlic pushed through garlic press, cilantro and olive oil. Adjust the salt and mix gently to combine.