This Cajun shrimp is made with bold Cajun spices, the richness of butter, the tanginess of lemon juice, and a savory hint of garlic. It’s absolutely delicious, and you know the best part? You only need 5 ingredients to make it from scratch in 10 minutes!
This cajun shrimp is not only incredibly tasty, but it’s also quick and easy to make. The flavor is out of this world, and no one will be able to guess that it took you only 5 minutes to cook it! It’s perfect for busy weeknights or when guests show up unexpectedly!
It’s an absolute hit at our house, and it’s the sort of dish everyone requests constantly! Although Cajun shrimp sounds quite fancy, it’s so simple that you’d be surprised. And your guests will be amazed by your cooking skills! This seafood dish hails from Louisiana and has authentic flavors you’ll love.
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious cajun shrimp recipe today!
- What is Cajun Shrimp?
- Why This Is The Best Cajun Shrimp Recipe
- What You Need to Make Cajun Shrimp At Home
- How to Make Cajun Shrimp Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Cajun Shrimp
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Cajun Shrimp
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Cajun Shrimp
- Try These Seafood Dinners
What is Cajun Shrimp?
Cajun shrimp is a delicious, spicy dish that uses fresh shrimp seasoned with a blend of Cajun spices. This flavorful mix is then pan-seared to perfection in a hot skillet, giving the shrimp a slightly crispy exterior while keeping the inside juicy and tender.
This quick and easy dinner recipe is absolutely a dream. Not only is it packed with flavor, but it takes only 10 minutes to make it from scratch. I’ve always gotten rave reviews for this dish, and I’m sure everyone in your family will absolutely love it too.
It is simple, quick, and packed full of flavors that will transport your taste buds to the heart of Louisiana. Plus, making it at home allows you to control the spice level to suit your personal taste.
Trust me, once you've tried this homemade shrimp recipe, you'll never want to go back to the store-bought version!
Why This Is The Best Cajun Shrimp Recipe
- Quick and Easy: This Cajun shrimp recipe is a breeze to whip up! With just five pantry staple ingredients, you can have a delicious meal ready in 10 minutes flat.
- Perfect for Busy Weeknights: I believe having some quick and delicious recipes on hand for busy weeknights is key! And this recipe is one of the absolute best in both departments!
- Family-Favorite: The blend of spices and flavors in this recipe is sure to make it a hit with the whole family. The combination of garlic, Cajun seasoning, and lemon juice creates a taste that's both exciting and comforting—a surefire way to please everyone at the dinner table.
- Versatile: This recipe is incredibly versatile. You can easily switch up the sides to match your family's preferences. Whether it is served over rice, with a side of green beans, or tossed in a salad, it is a delicious addition to any meal.
- Crowd Pleaser: Between its mouthwatering flavors and quick cooking time, this Cajun shrimp recipe is a definite crowd pleaser. Whether you're hosting a dinner party or just cooking for your family, this dish is sure to impress.
What You Need to Make Cajun Shrimp At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious cajun shrimp recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- Butter: This is the fat in our recipe. It not only gives the dish a rich, buttery flavor, but it also helps in sautéing the shrimp to perfection in our large skillet.
- Garlic: Minced garlic cloves are key to infusing our dish with a lovely aromatic flavor. A staple in many recipes, it pairs wonderfully with the shrimp and spices.
- Cajun Seasoning: This is where our dish gets its kick! A blend of paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and oregano, this homemade cajun seasoning will add a spicy and flavorful taste to our shrimp.
- Lemon Juice: Juice from half a lemon will brighten up the flavors of our dish and add a hint of acidity that balances the heat from our cajun spices.
- Shrimp: The star of the show! Shrimp is not only delicious but also low in calories. Make sure they are peeled and deveined for a fuss-free eating experience. This is a super quick and easy recipe that can be ready in just ten minutes!
How to Make Cajun Shrimp Step by Step
Making this incredible cajun shrimp recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
- Season the Shrimps: Start by sprinkling your shrimp with the homemade cajun seasoning. Ensure that all the shrimp are well coated with the cajun spices for maximum flavor.
- Sauté the Garlic: Heat some butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add minced garlic and stir until it's fragrant.
- Cook the Shrimp: Now, add the seasoned shrimp to the skillet. Cook them for about five minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent the shrimp from sticking to the pan and ensure even cooking.
- Add Lemon Juice: Once the shrimp are cooked, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them. This will enhance the flavors and give the dish a zesty kick.
- Garnish and Serve: Finally, garnish the cajun shrimp with some lemon slices for added appeal. Serve hot and enjoy this delicious, spicy dish.
Tips For Making the Best Cajun Shrimp
- Season the Shrimp: Use a generous amount of homemade cajun seasoning to coat the shrimp. This will ensure that each bite is packed with flavors and spices.
- Cooking with Butter: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. This adds a rich, creamy taste to your shrimp recipes and helps blend the flavors together.
- Don't Ignore the Garlic: Add minced garlic to the butter in the pan. Garlic not only adds to the taste but also enhances the aroma of your cajun shrimp pasta.
- Cook Shrimp Properly: Shrimp cooks quickly, usually in about five minutes. Cook until it's opaque; overcooking can make it rubbery.
- Use Fresh Lemon Juice: Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the cooked shrimp. The acidity of the lemon juice balances the heat of the cajun spices and adds a refreshing taste.
- Garnish for Extra Flavor: Don't forget to garnish your cajun shrimp with lemon slices or a sprinkle of fresh herbs. It adds an extra layer of flavor and makes your dish look restaurant-quality.
- Experiment with Sides: It can be served with a variety of sides. Try serving it over rice, or toss it with potatoes, green beans, or a fresh salad to create a balanced meal.
- For a hearty dinner, serve it over a bed of fluffy, cooked rice. The grains will soak up the delicious, buttery, spicy sauce, creating an unforgettable meal.
- Want a low-carb option? Toss your cajun shrimp in a fresh salad. The crisp lettuce and veggies provide a refreshing contrast to the spicy shrimp.
- For a rustic, homestyle meal, serve your cajun shrimp with a side of roasted potatoes. Sprinkle some thyme and garlic powder for extra flavor.
- Cajun shrimp pasta is a crowd-pleaser. Stir your cooked shrimp into a large skillet with heavy cream, parmesan, and cooked pasta for a creamy, spicy dish.
- For a Southern twist, serve it with green beans cooked in butter and garlic. The beans add a nice crunch and absorb the flavors beautifully.
- Cajun shrimp makes a great topping for homemade pizza. Just sprinkle your cooked shrimp over your pizza dough, add some bell peppers, tomatoes, and cheese, and bake until golden.
- For a light and healthy lunch, serve it with a side of grilled vegetables. Bell peppers, green beans, and tomatoes work wonderfully and add a nice pop of color.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Cajun Shrimp
This delicious cajun shrimp recipe is so flavorful and easy to make, you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
- Make It Creamy: For a richer, more indulgent version of this recipe, add a splash of heavy cream to the pan after the shrimp is cooked. The cream blends with the Cajun spices and butter to create a deliciously creamy sauce that perfectly complements the shrimp.
- Boost the Spice: If you love a meal with a kick, add a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper to this recipe. The cayenne blends with the cajun spices to give the shrimp an extra spicy flavor that's sure to excite your taste buds.
- Add More Veggies: If you're looking to increase your vegetable intake, this variation is a must-try. Add bell peppers and green beans to the pan along with the shrimp. The veggies add a nice crunch and take on the cajun flavors wonderfully.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cajun seasoning is spicier and emphasizes paprika, while Creole seasoning tends to have more herbs and a milder heat.
You can garnish it with lemon slices for added zest. Some people also like to sprinkle a little extra Cajun seasoning or fresh thyme on top for added flavor.
Make a shallow cut along the back of each shrimp using a small knife, then remove the dark vein with the tip of the knife or a deveining tool.
Yes, thaw the shrimp in the refrigerator before marinating them with Cajun seasoning for optimal flavor absorption.
No special equipment is required; a skillet or grill, mixing bowls, and basic kitchen utensils are sufficient.
Yes, you can use the same Cajun seasoning and cooking method for chicken, fish, or even tofu.
Absolutely. Serve Cajun shrimp in taco shells with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a drizzle of lime crema for a delicious twist.
How to Store Leftover Cajun Shrimp
- Refrigerating: Place your leftover Cajun shrimp in an airtight container. You can store it in the fridge for up to three days. Before eating, check for any signs of spoilage, such as a sour smell or change in color.
- Reheating: When you're ready to enjoy your leftovers, warm them up over medium-high heat in a large skillet. You might want to add a little bit of butter to prevent sticking and to maintain the flavors. Stir the shrimp occasionally to ensure even heating.
- Freezing: While you can freeze the Cajun shrimp, it's not highly recommended as the texture of the shrimp can change upon thawing, becoming rubbery and less pleasant to eat.
Try These Seafood Dinners
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
10-Minute Cajun Shrimp Recipe (Only 5 Ingredients!)
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- Juice from half a lemon
- Season the shrimp in cajun spice.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, and add the minced garlic.
- Add the seasoned shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Squeeze some lemon juice and decorate with some lemon slices.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.