Chocolate lovers rejoice! It’s time to take your regular French Toast recipe to another level. Stuffed with chocolate ganache and coconut cream, this recipe is sure to become your favorite decadent breakfast treat.
Chocolate Covered French Toast
I’ve always thought of French toast as a breakfast recipe. I’m a huge fan of Food Network Channel and whenever someone prepared French Toast, it always meant to be served for breakfast of brunch.
When I started reading more about the history of this favorite breakfast treat, it turns out that French people rarely serve it for breakfast. They like having French Toast for dessert or afternoon snack. And they call it pain perdu. Sounds fancy, right?:) At this point, I regret I didn’t learn French when I had a chance to.
Speaking of Food Network, quite often on early Saturday morning I love to have breakfast while watching Brunch at Bobby’s. I have to admit, although I rarely make something special for brunch, I still enjoy watching his show. I love Bobby’s take on classic recipes. It always makes me drool when I see all that decadent brunch ideas he comes up with.
Today’s recipe is inspired by Bobby’s Stuffed Mexican Hot Chocolate French Toast. I tweaked a few things and they resulted in out of this world delicious breakfast or brunch recipe.
I’ve always been a huge chocolate lover. But for some reason, after my second pregnancy, I became even a bigger sucker for all things chocolate. Granted, every dessert that I make now, has a mighty dose of chocolate goodness.
When I first thought about making French Toast recipe for my blog, I considered different variations of it. But being an avid chocolate lover, I couldn’t help but add a little bit of this dreamy ingredient in my recipe. The result – lick your plate kind of delight.
Just imagine, French Toast is filled with warm and gooey chocolate, drizzled with aromatic chocolate ganache and topped with a dollop of coconut cream. Sounds good? It sure does to me.
So, if on a warm (or cold) Sunday morning, you decide to treat your family with a decadent French-style breakfast, give this recipe a try. Be sure, everyone will love it.
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup chilled coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 6½ inch slices French Brioche
- ¼ cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Coconut oil for frying
- In a small sauce pan, heat coconut cream until hot, but don't boil. Off the heat, add chocolate, maple syrup and whisk until smooth and chocolate has melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together coconut cream, sugar and cinnamon until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, coconut cream and milk.
- Spread ¾ of all chocolate ganache on 3 slices of bread. Top with the remaining 3 slices.
- Dip each sandwich into the custard and let each side soak for about 1 minute.
- Heat a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet and over medium heat. Place 2 soaked sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer sandwiches to a baking dish and put in a slightly warm oven while you finish the rest of the sandwiches. Cook the remaining sandwiches.
- Slice each toast diagonally. Place 2 halves of French toast on a plate. Drizzle with the remaining ¼ of chocolate ganache (if it's too cold, microwave it for 5-10 seconds) and top with a scoop of coconut whipped cream.
- Serve immediately with a cup of tea or coffee.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I’d love to see your creations.
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on: