These Vegan Apple Pie Egg Rolls are crispy on the outside with a tangy and moderately sweet green apple filling. They make a great choice for breakfast or brunch.
And if you love easy apple desserts, make sure to try my Russian Apple Sponge Cake, Ukrainian Style Baked Apples or French Palmiers.
The Best Vegan Apple Pie Egg Rolls
I think you would be interested to know where I get the inspiration for my recipes.
For a long time, my blog’s focus was on European cuisines. I would usually take a classic recipe of any European country and tweak it to a certain extent.
Sometime though, when my mother-in-law comes to visit, she brings me a handful of cooking magazines. They are a perfect source of inspiration.
When something is particularly of my interest, I make a note to consider the recipe for my next blog post. The recipe may not be European but if I feel like it’s a good fit for my blog, I will still make it.
This is exactly what happened with these Vegan Apple Pie Egg Rolls recipe.
I first saw this recipe in Eating Well magazine. The photo was so appealing. Although the original recipe was not vegan, but the hand pies looked crispy and delicious. I could almost smell a cinnamon coming out of the page. From the moment I saw the recipe, I knew I had to make it.
Normally, egg rolls are made with savory fillings. This recipe, however, uses apples which makes it a perfect sweet treat for any occasion.
I have to say, I’ve never worked with egg roll wrappers before, but I found out they are basically a giant dumpling wrapper. And I’ve made dumplings countless of times.
Unlike dumpling wrappers, egg roll wrappers are rectangular so you have to fold them like an envelope.
For my Vegan Apple Pie Egg Rolls recipe, I recommend using Granny Smith apples. They are a little more tart than other kinds of apples and it helps to cut through the sweetness of the sugary coating.
These Cinnamon Apple Pie Egg Rolls are very easy to make. You can prepare the filling the night before and then assemble in the morning for a quick breakfast or brunch.
Best Apple Pie Egg Rolls
- Melt 2 tbsp of vegan butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. In a medium bowl add diced apples and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of sugar and ¾ teaspoons cinnamon.
- Add apples to a pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with a flour, lightly stir and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat, stir in lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Place egg roll wrapper on a working surface with one corner facing you. Lightly moisten the edges with water.
- Place about ⅓ cup of apple filling in a center of a wrapper and tightly fold the bottom corner over the filling. Fold corners in from the sides and then roll the log up and seal top corner. The filling should be enough for 8 logs.
- In a shallow bowl combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1 tbsp of butter in a shallow skillet and over medium heat. Add apple pies and cook on each side turning frequently until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and dredge in a sugar-cinnamon mixture. Serve.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I’d love to see your creations.