This is seriously the very BEST Healthy Oatmeal Recipe you’ll ever need. This simple yet clean and nutritious breakfast idea is dairy-free, low fat and vegan. Great way to start your day off right.
The Best Oatmeal Ever
I was seriously hesitating to post this recipe. Despite that for the past year this has been my #1 breakfast, it’s so simple and easy to make that I didn’t know whether I should devote the whole post to it.
But you know, simple recipes are made for busy lives. Especially if you’re a parent who has so much on your plate that complicated cooking is something you’d prefer no to do.
Since morning is that time of the day, when it’s just too difficult to force yourself to cook something, that’s when my best rolled oats recipe comes in handy.
There’re so many reasons why you will LOVE this breakfast idea:
- it’s ready in 3 minutes!!!
- it’s low fat
- no stove needed, meaning you can make this anywhere (hello healthy eating while camping)
- if you follow plant-based diet, this recipe is totally compliant and will make you feel full, satisfied and happy about your meal choices
- highly customisable
Is Oatmeal Healthy?
You bet. Oats are one of the healthiest grains you can find. They are rich in fibre, minerals, antioxidants and are super beneficial for your heart health, controlling diabetes and digestive health.
In addition, in comparison to a regular morning cereal, oats will keep you full longer, which is always a plus on busy days.
As I said this is the basic recipe and you can add more ingredients to it.
But honestly, I feel like you will like these healthy oats the way they are – simple, easy and so tasty.
Basic Oatmeal Recipe
For this delicious and hearty breakfast recipe you’ll need:
- Rolled Oats – recently I’ve been loving GF Sprouted Rolled Oats. They’re enriched with key vitamins and minerals which makes them even healthier than a regular oat variety.
- honey (or maple syrup if you don’t consume honey)
- frozen blueberries (frozen cherries work here great as well)
- chopped Pecans or Walnuts
Now, I love and recommend choosing Wild Blueberries. They contain much more antioxidants than regular blueberries and are proven to have a positive affect on our memory and cognition in general.
Wild Blueberries are often found in a Costco’s frozen aisle as well as in Trader Joe’s.
For maximising health benefits, I also recommend having this basic oatmeal with Walnuts or Pecans. Alternatively, you can throw in some Chia seeds.
All these crunchy ingredients have a great amount of important Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for fighting an inflammation.
How to cook oats?
1. Put your rolled oats into a cereal bowl and pour 1/2 cup of hot water over them. Cover with a plate and let it sit for 3 minutes. This time will be enough for the oats to absorb all water and expand.
2. Meanwhile fill another bowl with 1 cup of frozen blueberries and microwave for 1 minute.
This step is optional. But if you’re like me and love your breakfast to be nice and warm, you’ll appreciate the fact that your oatmeal won’t be ice cold after all those frozen blueberries.
3. Remove plate from the bowl with oatmeal. Stir in wild blueberries, chopped nuts, drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of honey and enjoy your healthy oatmeal slowly!
What can I add to oatmeal?
If you’re feeling fancy, go ahead and add a tablespoon of almond butter in your oats. Ready for even more toppings? Try these:
- a teaspoon of cacao powder. I recommend choosing exactly cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. The latter is more processed and has less antioxidants than cacao.
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- shredded coconut
- sliced banana (which you can caramelise in a bit of maple syrup)
Also try these delicious recipes for breakfast
- Tahini Granola
- Russian Pancakes With Apples
- Cranberry Granola Biscotti
- Stuffed Hot Chocolate French Toast
- Russian Syrniki
If you like this healthy oatmeal recipe, make sure to rate the recipe and leave me a comment.
Healthy Oatmeal Recipe Without Milk
- Put rolled oats into a cereal bowl and pour 1/3-1/2 cup of hot water over them. The water should slightly cover the oats. Cover the bowl with a clean plate.
- At the same time, add frozen blueberries to another cereal bowl and microwave for 1 minute. (You can skip this step if you want)
- Remove plate from the bowl with the oats, add wild blueberries, nuts, drizzle with honey and stir.
- Serve immediately and enjoy slowly!