Baked Zucchini with Mozzarella and Tomatoes is a light and easy side dish and makes a perfect addition to your summer dinners. Also available Zucchini Potato Bake.
Zucchini And Tomatoes Bake
There's no a better way to utilise fresh summer zucchini and tomatoes than to make a casserole. It's a simple, easy yet healthy and delicious side dish you can make in no time.
Plus, it's so versatile and goes great with vegetarian, meat or seafood dishes. You'll need about 10 minutes to put it together and oven will do the rest of the work.
As long as I can remember I've always loved squashes. When I was growing up in Ukraine, we mostly used green squash for cooking. At the time of my childhood, I didn't know what zucchini was and I never saw them being sold on the farmers' markets.
Our go-to squash recipes was fried squash, squash fritters and squash caviar. All of them are so delicious.
After I moved to the US, I discovered for myself green zucchini along with a full array of recipes that I could incorporate it to. I adore this summer vegetable and could pretty much eat it raw.
Today's recipe of Baked Zucchini With Mozzarella And Tomatoes was introduced to me by my mom. She often helps me with the recipe development which saves me ton of time and allows me to be more productive.
The dish takes no more than 30 minutes from start to finish and tastes amazing!
In this recipe you can use already grated packaged Mozzarella but I think this dish really shines through with a fresh cow Mozzarella or Buffalo Mozzarella, which you can get in any grocery store.
How to prepare zucchini for baking?
Scrub and dry your zucchini with a paper towel.
If you're using fresh zucchini, there's no need to peel it. Just cut off the ends and slice the zucchini into ¼ - ½ inch pieces.
Can you substitute yellow squash for zucchini?
Yellow squash has the same shape, size and texture as zucchini, hence can be easily substituted in recipes calling for zucchini.
How to make Zucchini and Mozzarella Bake?
This simple dish comes together quickly and easily.
- In a medium bowl combine sliced zucchini, salt, pepper, Italian herbs and olive oil. Give it a gentle stir and set aside for 5 minutes. This will help zucchini to slightly marinate.
- Pull up your medium sized casserole dish, lightly spray with a cooking spray and lay your zucchini on the bottom of the dish followed by tomato halves, garlic and basil.
- Spoon the tomato sauce on top. There's no need to slather it on, just drizzle the sauce here and there. Also drizzle on another tablespoon of olive oil. In this recipe you can use a regular Pasta, Marinara or Basil Tomato Sauce.
- Finally, top everything with a fresh Mozzarella and bake in a preheated to 450 F oven for 15-18 minutes until cheese melts.
Serve this Zucchini Tomato Casserole immediately while cheese is still hot and pulls away nicely.
Try my other delicious summer zucchini recipes
- Marinated Zucchini Salad
- Quinoa Patties With Zucchini And Feta Cheese
- Baby Sweet Peppers And Zucchini Salad
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons.
I'd love to connect with you on social media. Follow Lavender & Macarons on:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
Baked Zucchini With Mozzarella And Tomatoes
- 2 zucchini sliced into ¼-1/2 inch pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 oz Buffalo Mozzarella or regular fresh Mozzarella thinly sliced. You should have approximately 15 slices.
- 7 leaves basil
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- In a medium bowl mixed together sliced zucchini, Italian herbs, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Spray a medium size casserole dish with a baking spray and arrange zucchini followed by garlic, tomatoes and basil.
- Spoon the tomato sauce on top followed by sliced Mozzarella and a final drizzle of 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until Mozzarella is bubbly and melted.
I need to make the baked zucchini, it looks so inviting!
Thank you! It's a really yummy dish:)
Zucchini recipes are my favorite! Can't wait to try the baked version!
Pam Greer says
This is one of our favorite ways to enjoy summer's bounty of vegetables! It goes together so easily and is so delicious!
That looks so good!!! Zucchini is my fave and I have a ton of fresh basil to use up from the garden ?
I absolutely love this recipe. Flavors are so amazing. So perfect for summer. We are making BBQ party this weekend. This recipe will fit perfectly on our dinner table.
Beth Pierce says
I know what I will be making for dinner tonight! This looks so savory and easy too! My mouth is already watering!