Garlic lovers rejoice! This Austrian Garlic Soup is the easiest and most delicious soup you've ever tried. So rich in flavor, creamy and lick your bowl good soup.
Austrian Garlic Soup With Croutons
It happened back in 2012.
We were having our honeymoon in Austria. Instead of going to famous places like Vienna or Salzburg (which are gorgeous by the way), we chose a small and remote village in Austrian Alps to be our honeymoon destination.
If you ask me what is my favorite place to be - that would be mountains and lake. There, in a tiny village of Pertisau where you can hardly get to by public transportation, we found our perfect honeymoon destination.
Isn't it pretty?
Believe me, this place is even more beautiful in reality. Since we came there in the end of April, it was off season for tourist activities.
That's why we liked it even more. Peaceful, quite and incredibly beautiful.
After long 8 hours flight to Munich and several hours car drive to our destination, me and my husband were so exhausted. We wanted to sleep so bad but at the same time we were starving. We gathered our last bits of energy and took off to find a restaurant to munch on local delicatessen.
So, here it is. My tired and exhausted face having the first encounter with Garlic Soup. Back then, when I was ordering it, I had no clue what the garlic soup was. I never had it before. In fact, I rarely ate cream soups.
I wish I had a photo to show you my facial expression after I devoured a bowl of this creamy goodness. With all love and respect to my native Borsch, this creamy Austrian garlic soup, was the best thing I've tried in a very long time.
Since I'm obsessed with all things garlic, I was totally hit by intense flavor and taste of the soup. It's something you want to eat until there's no a single drop of the soup remained in a bowl and then you want to order some more.
In fact, from that moment on, whenever we went to a restaurant, I made sure to order this creamy dreamy garlicky soup every single time.
I could totally rant about my love to Austria and its cuisine for hours, but the post will come out too long. And I hope, I convinced you that this Austrian Garlic Soup is a must try. It's definitely a bowl of comfort sure to warm you up at any time of the year.
More comforting European Soups
- Solyanka - Russian meat soup with dill pickles. Incredibly delicious and satisfying soup perfect for colder weather;
- French Onion Soup Recipe - easy, simple yet elegant soup with cheese topped baguette;
- Borsch - traditional Ukrainian beet soup that is popular in so many Eastern European countries. Hearty, healthy and so delicious;
- Snert - Dutch Split Pea Soup with pork chop, bacon and kielbasa. If this doesn't sound comforting, I don't know what does:)
- Ukrainian Mushroom Soup - 30-minute recipe for lunch or dinner;
- French Parmesan Soup - incredibly delicious soup made of Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Spread the croutons on a parchment lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toss. Bake for about 5-7 minutes until croutons are slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large sauce pan and on a medium heat. Throw in garlic and stirring constantly, allow it to release all its flavor, about 3-5 minutes. Don't let it get brown.
- Whisk in flour until it forms a thick paste.
- Whisking constantly, start incorporating milk ¼ cup at a time. When all milk has been added, pour in chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and whisk until the soup has thickened and bubbly.
- Off the heat.
- Divide the soup between 2 bowls. Sprinkle with a parsley and garnish with croutons.
If you make this recipe, don't forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I'd love to see your creations.
I'd love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Bloglovin, Twitter
Jeannine Powers says
I LOVE this soup! I have made it several times and it was fantastic each time - but when I had pneumonia this winter it was truly so soothing. Do you think it would freeze well? I would love to have some on hand for a quick meal.
Jeannine, thank you so much for your comment and a 5-star rating! I'm so happy you enjoyed this soup. Generally, milk-based soups don't freeze well and they might separate when thawed.
Tried this twice now, both times ended up super super garlicky.. even after diluting with more chicken stock, milk, and flour. What am I doing wrong? I had this at a restaurant, and it was delicious. I am trying to replicate. Thank you
Hi Christopher! I'm not sure what flavor you're aiming for, but the soup is supposed to be quite garlicky:) At least that's what I tried in Austria. Anyways, if it's really garlicky, next time you might use smaller garlic bulb or use 3-4 less cloves of garlic. Please let me know if it helps.
I made this to pair with a stuffed rack of lamb and my husband and kiddo devoured it. So, so good. Not overly garlicky, simple, perfect, rounded flavors.
Shannon, thank you so much for your comment and a 5-star rating! I'm happy you enjoyed this recipe!
Giselle Edwards says
This was extremely yummy, may 11 year old thought so as well!
Giselle, thank you for your comment and a 5-star rating! I'm happy you enjoyed this recipe!
Can I make it with Coconut milk instead of milk. Dairy free, please.
I personally haven't tried making this soup with coconut milk, but I imagine this would work. I recommend choosing full fat coconut milk in cans.
Larry Kober says
I have made this many times and it is a favorite. Goes great with cabbage rolls. This recipe reminds me of the perfect lunch my wife and I had at the Stiftskeller in Innsbruck on a beautiful snowy day. Garlic soup, pretzels and a couple of local dunkles. Can't get any better than that
Larry, I'm very glad you like this Garlic Soup recipe! And I agree, there's nothing better on a cold winter day then a bowl of flavorful soup with some yummy accompaniments, especially in such beautiful city as Innsbruck.