Pungent and delicious, this Turkish Muhammara Recipe is sure to become your favorite appetizer for a crowd. It’s naturally Vegan, easily Gluten-Free and loaded with good-for-you ingredients.
There’s no denying that Middle Eastern cuisine is one of the most flavorful ones. Any recipe, even the simplest one is usually transformed into a flavor bomb.
My favorite thing is that most of the times the recipes are healthy and easy to prepare with the common ingredients.
Muhammara, is how they call it in Turkey and other Middle Eastern countries – is a spicy dip made of bell peppers, walnuts, breadcrumbs and olive oil.
Thanks to the addition of simple spices, this delicious appetizer comes out super flavorful and of course delicious.
Although originated in Syria, Muhammara is also very popular in Turkey, Lebanon and Palestine. It is usually spicy, but you can easily make it more kid-friendly by reducing the amount of chili peppers.
This roasted red pepper walnut dip is usually served as a sauce for meat or fish, but I think it works beautifully as a dip along some Tortilla chips or crackers.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can prepare it ahead of time. In fact, it’s best to give it at least 2 hours before serving. That way, the flavors will meld and marry for an utterly satisfying bite.
Is it Healthy?
Absolutely! This Turkish Muhammara recipe is loaded with good-for-you ingredients. Bell peppers are good for eye health and Walnuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that combat the inflammation.
Muhammara is a feel-good appetizer without sacrificing flavor.
Originally, this recipe contained hot Allepo peppers however it may be hard to find these in stores, so Chili peppers are a good replacement. Other ingredients include:
- onion and peppers – I used both bell peppers and chili peppers;
- flavor inducers – brown sugar, cumin and garlic;
- healthy fats – Walnuts are best, however you can use Pecans instead;
- something acidic – to balance out the sweetness from the bell peppers and onion, I used a combination of lemon and Pomegranate juice;
- breadcrumbs – for thickening the dip and make it more hearty
- olive oil – for richness
This Turkish Walnut Dip can be stored in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Ways to enjoy it
This vegan Muhammara can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Some of my favorite ones are:
- dress up your grilled food in this beautiful sauce
- spread Muhammara on a piece of baguette or toasted bread
- use it as a dip for chips, celery sticks, carrots or crackers
- serve it as a sauce for pasta or baked potatoes
If you’re planning a party or doing a backyard BBQ, give this piquant appetizer a try and it’ll sure to become your favorite healthy dip.
- Peanut Butter and Caramelised Pears Cracker Appetizers;
- Bruschetta With Sun-Dried Tomatoes And Pesto;
- Crispy Polenta With Black Olive Tapenade
Turkish Vegan Muhammara Dip Recipe
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 c Walnuts you may use Pecans instead
- 1 large yellow onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 chili peppers seeded and diced, see Note 1
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs you may substitute with GF breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp brown sugar you may replace with coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper to a taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place bell peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Remove peppers from the oven and place them in a bowl covered with a lid for 10 minutes. Peel off the blackened skin, remove the seeds and discard any liquid.
- Add walnuts to a large pan and toast on a medium heat stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- In the same pan heat 4 tbsp of olive oil. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a bowl of food processor add bell peppers, toasted walnuts, chili peppers, cumin, pomegranate and lemon juice, breadcrumbs, sugar, sauteed onion, garlic and the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Season with 1/2 tsp of salt and blend until mixture is smooth. Taste the seasoning and add more salt or pepper if you like.
- Serve with some tortilla chips or crackers.