Hi there! Today, I’ve got another awesome recipe to satisfy your healthy food craving. It is an Open Faced Avocado Sandwich with Ricotta Spread.
All major holidays are gone and I feel like I need to review my daily menu and incorporate much more of the healthy recipes. Not that I eat junk food, but I want to make more meals that require less frying, sugar and processing time.
I recently saw this recipe of an Open Faced Avocado Sandwich on Food Network and couldn’t resist but try it.
It always amazes me how a combination of such simple everyday ingredients can create something yummy and filling. This sandwich is so full of deliciousness. How can you go wrong with avocado, crispy capers and ricotta spread? I could easily gobble all slices right up. But I’m not greedy (am I?), I like sharing either:)
I made some adjustments to the original recipe and fried the capers. It was the best decision ever. The capers turned out nutty and crispy, creating that perfect little bite. These tiny blossoms add such a wonderful unexpected dimension to even the simplest dish.
This open faced avocado sandwich can be enjoyed as an appetizer for your next party or as a healthy snack anytime you need it.
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 7 tablespoons whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 bread slices, toasted
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- salt, pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of grape seed or canola oil over a medium heat. Add the capers and cook for about 2 minutes, moving them around gently. Cook until the capers are dry and crisp. Drain on the paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together ricotta, olive oil, lemon zest and capers.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the bread. Top with a couple of avocado and tomato slices, shallots and pine nuts. Cut the sandwich diagonally.
If you want to try some more similar and healthy appetizers, try my Tomato and Goat Cheese Bruschetta. This will surprise and delight your family and friends.