If you talk about a nice warm and comforting soup, the first addition to a soup that comes to my mind are cheese breadsticks. These are tiny cheesy and crispy treats that will make any dish taste so much better.
Recently, my mom made unbelievably delicious breadsticks. I watched how quickly she pulled them off and with a few simple ingredients and our favorite Gruyere cheese, the breadsticks aroma invaded our kitchen.
After I had a first bite, I was hooked. These breadsticks are oh so addicting. I knew, the recipe has to be shared on the blog. It is one of those appetizers, or snacks that you can’t stop eating.
For this particular recipe we used Gruyere cheese, since it’s one of our family’s favorites. But Parmesan cheese would be a great alternative.
- 150 grams Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 150 grams all purpose flour
- 80 grams butter, at a room temperature
- 100 ml milk
- 3 grams baking powder
- a pinch of salt, to a taste
- sesame seeds, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded Gruyere cheese and soft butter.
- Add milk, flour, baking powder and salt. Knead the dough by hand until smooth and soft.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator, uncover and on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a large thin rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into narrow strips.
- Using a long pencil or sushi chopstick, twist each strip, carefully remove the chopstick and transfer a twisted strip onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Very lightly drizzle each breadstick with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the top is golden brown.
This is definitely a must try recipe. I fell in love with these cheese breadsticks and can’t wait to make them again.