Prepare to fall madly in love with this Creamy Mustard Chicken Recipe. Classic French dish that tastes outstanding.
Mustard Chicken Recipe
I don’t mean to brag, but this is it. Forget everything you knew about preparing chicken and listen up. I’ll be honest with you, I’ve tried many chicken recipes before, the way too many. And I can tell you the characteristics of a deliciously cooked chicken.
Now, imagine that moment when your perfectly braised chicken falls of the bone and marinates in a creamy and flavourful mustard sauce before you’re ready to devour it. It’s drool worthy and the words cannot describe the goodness of this recipe.
I said it before and I’ll say it again. French sure know a good food. I was lucky enough to experience a delicious food galore when I visited this beautiful country in the mid 2000s. French recipes are unique, often very simple and absolutely mouthwatering.
Funny though, back then, I didn’t try Mustard Chicken, I was too obsessed with their French Onion Soup, cheese and seafood. But ever since I started a food blog, I have wanted to make recipes from all around the world. Being in love French cuisine, I couldn’t leave Mustard Chicken recipe without my attention.
French call it Poulet à la Moutarde. Feeling fancy? Call it that way too.
You’ll spend the most of 15 minutes browning the chicken and onions. Oven will do the rest while your mouth waters from a great depth of flavour coming from the oven.
This is definitely one of the best one-pot recipes. Preferably choose Dutch oven. This is what I use these days and I’m absolutely in love with this pot. Alternative version is good oven proof large skillet, like this, or this one (I’ve been using this brand for years.)
Be prepared to get your hands dirty. Because the mustard sauce comes out so good, you can’t help, but finish the last bits of it before you leave the table.
This chicken goes great with potatoes, rice or pasta. I had it with rice and I spread the mustard sauce all over the rice. It was so good! Yummy!
And guys, before you leave and start preparing dinner, there’s one more mouthwatering recipe that’s worth mentioning. When I first made my Chicken With Creamy Parmesan Mustard Sauce, it was devoured in no time. It’s easy 30-minute dinner recipe and everyone who tried it, absolutely loved it. See for yourself:)
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I’d love to see your creations.
- 8 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons Crème fraîche
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 10-15 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- parsley, for garnish
- salt, pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and rub with mustard.
- In a Dutch oven or a big oven-proof skillet melt butter on a medium high heat. Add chicken and brown from both sides.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add shallot and onion to the same pot and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add thyme and bay leave and bring a mixture to a boil.
- Add Crème fraîche and transfer chicken back to the pot.
- Braise in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve hot with rice, pasta or roasted potatoes and crusty bread!